Sunday, June 9, 2013

Optimism for Journalism

Photo



Perpetual Exhilaration: North Korea coverage by CNN

Perpetual Exhilaration: North Korea coverage by CNN:

perpetualexhilaration:

CNN has spent almost 90% of recent airtime on an even split between the Micheal Jackson trial and North Korea coverage. In terms of the North Korea coverage, I think it's crucial we take a deeper look into the crisis than we have been. Between just knowing their hegemonic power structure is…

Perpetual Exhilaration: Here's how much money I wasted on fastfood before quitting it.

Perpetual Exhilaration: Here's how much money I wasted on fastfood before quitting it.:

perpetualexhilaration:

I stopped eating fastfood in the summer of 2012 and then again as a new years resolution in 2013. There were two reasons behind leaving the biweekly trip to taco bell behind me. One was health, the second was money.


Listed below are the amounts I spent on fast food Since 2011

Taco Bell:

Follow him because he’s cute and insanely well read on politics, economics and...

Follow him because he’s cute and insanely well read on politics, economics and history.

http://realpolitiks.tumblr.com/

"Secretary of State Clinton showed up to answer tough and sometimes ridiculous questions regarding..."

"Secretary of State Clinton showed up to answer tough and sometimes ridiculous questions regarding the deadly September 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya. In the process, she offered a tutorial for today's young women.

Key points:

1) When a man asks you a question and then refuses to look at you as you answer, just keep going. Don't let his rudeness silence you.

2) When he interrupts you, return the favor.

3) When he says things you know are not true, correct him. Repeatedly.

4) When he attempts to bully you, mow him down with facts.

5) And whenever possible, smile. Nothing rattles an angry man like a woman who looks happy to annoy him."

- Hillary Schools Congress and Teaches Girls by Connie Schultz on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent (via immlass)

Photo



nomagneticmonopoles: photo from UniteWomen.org Hilary is one of...



nomagneticmonopoles:

photo from UniteWomen.org

Hilary is one of my major role models. Love her to pieces.

See What else she's been up to

 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/21161346

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has angrily defended her handling of the raid on a US consulate in Libya.

Something to think about.



Something to think about.

thedailywhat: We Must Dig Deeper of the Day: Student Expelled...



thedailywhat:

We Must Dig Deeper of the Day: Student Expelled For Finding Bug in School System

Ahmed Al-Khabaz, a 20-year-old computer science student at Dawson College in Montreal, Canada, was expelled last week for apparently reporting and doing a follow-up check on a major bug that he had found in the school's student information system earlier last October. Upon initial discovery, Al-Khabaz met with the Director of Information Services and Technology François Paradis, who thanked him for his work and promised Omnivox's distributor, Skytech, would fix the error. 

Two days after this meeting, Al-Khabaz tested Omnivox to see if the fixes had been made. Minutes later, he received a phone call from Skytech's president who accused Al-Khabaz of orchestrating an attack against the system and threatened him with jail time if he didn't agree to sign a non-disclosure agreement about the bug. When Al-Khabaz reluctantly signed the documents, he was promptly expelled for "unprofessional conduct," barring him from enrollment at any other college in the region.

… what's going on here?

bellemlle: Yes, we can. President Barack Obama takes the oath...



bellemlle:

Yes, we can. President Barack Obama takes the oath of office at the U.S. Capitol and delivers his second inaugural address at the 2013 Inauguration. (Public Domain)

Learn more at WhiteHouse.gov/Inauguration-2013

perpetual exhilaration: "I TRULY BELIEVE THAT THIS WILL CAUSE A CIVIL WAR AMONG THE AMERICAN...

perpetual exhilaration: "I TRULY BELIEVE THAT THIS WILL CAUSE A CIVIL WAR AMONG THE AMERICAN...:

perpetualexhilaration:

"I TRULY BELIEVE THAT THIS WILL CAUSE A CIVIL WAR AMONG THE AMERICAN PEOPLE FOR FREEDOM"

I'm about to blow my composure with these over dramatic accusations toward the president when it comes to the second amendment. Has it even occurred to these tea party radicals that there is…

Hey there! Why the lack in posts? Is everything kosher?

After I started my first reporting and ethics class, I began to see that this blog was no longer going to grow me because I was not exceeding professional writing. Then I was like "The fuck am I talking about" and I realized that as a journalist I want to equally be an activist and placing my opinion and passion in my writing was important. My interests have shifted from Psychology or Politics and Sociology. I am grateful for the overwhelming support I got on the Psych blog, and hope my followers stick around to be the audience of my next project. I'm unfortunately swimming in academic obligation right now but plan to record a podcast in the next week or so, as well as briefing some of the things I've learned in the last several months about not just Journalism, but the general public and myself as well. But definitely expect this blog to take a political/people oriented turn!

Would anybody be interested in hearing some podcasts?

I’ve been considering turning this tumblr into a podcast station to talk about social/political/humorous/psychological/sociological stuff.

I’m trying to see if podcasts are still cool, or if I’m better off doing videos.

Any feedback? 

Photo



Hurray for personal growth!

Hello beloved psychjournalism followers, I would like to appologize for suddenly disappearing on all of you.I have not stopped writing, however certain experiences have pushed me to aim my journalistic career in a differently angled direction. Psychjournalism is now going to be an extension to my new personal journalism blog called “The Human Kaleidoscope”. The Human Kaleidoscope will be almost the same concept as psych journalism, but with more structure, rebellious topics and professionalism. I love the tumblr community but have realized through my journalism classes that WordPress is a better spine for my writing. I welcome you to stay! Through tumblr, my articles will be copy and pasted. I will still answer questions and talk to all of you whenever you want/need. 

You can find the official blog at http://thehumankaleidoscope.wordpress.com/

Thank you for all the love and support thus far!

-Patsy

This blog is so amazing. As soon as I discovered it, I loved it. I'm actually planning on taking up sociology and pursing it throughout my life. In fact, I've always been interested in human nature, it's just something that never be erased from my mind. Humans are such fascinating creatures, aren't they?

Such a wonderful message, come off anon so I can follow you.

Symptoms of a Media Victimized American  Social issues always...



Symptoms of a Media Victimized American 

  • Social issues always come first.
  • Facts come from television. 
  • Everything well written is true.
  • Celebrity and publicity stunts have every right to block important international news from public coherence. 
  • Tabloid covers are interesting because they cover either cheating or weight loss.
  • Weight loss is for cosmetic reasons, not healthy living. 
  • Kardashians are feminine super powers, not feminist activists. 
  • Reading must be either trendy or a complete nuisance. 
  • Protesting outside a fast food joint is a valuable investment of time and energy.
  • Outside opinions are illegal. 
  • Every emotionally rough time period must point toward clinical depression.
  • Spreads awareness for issues without donating. 

Still here!

Hey everyone, just letting you know this blog is still going to remain active. Some things came up and I had to take a bit of a mental break, but this next week there will be new postings. Please continue to submit your interests and questions! I love getting mail from all of you. Thanks, Patsy

Tai's Psychology Blog: Psychological Distance: 10 Fascinating Effects of a Simple Mind Hack

Tai's Psychology Blog: Psychological Distance: 10 Fascinating Effects of a Simple Mind Hack:

xxzulaxx:

Think distant: the incredible power of abstract thought.
______________________________________________________

This mind hack is simple: you imagine yourself way off in the future, or living in a different country or as a different person. The aim is to have that feeling of…

realpolitiks: Homeless people make me sad. They make me sad...



realpolitiks:

Homeless people make me sad.

They make me sad because if we spent the some public money trying to get these people off the streets and into prideful jobs, our cities would be a less gloomy place. There's nothing wrong with letting the government help them out since we would give them change on the streets anyway, and that can be considered - collectively - public money.

They make me sad because they represent the lost potential in our economy and society.

They make me sad because they represent survival and not prosperity. 

They make me sad because we're not supposed to be like them, and they desperately want to be like us. 

I am not homeless or poor, and I live a comfortable life.

I know this guy on the streets of Glendale, California whose name is Goldfish, or so he says. I got him some lunch a few years back and he gave me a horrible argument of how California is a communist state and how the president can do whatever he wants. He was also trying to sell off a book as his own writing, although it clearly wasn't. He told me stories of how he was a billionaire in Cuba at one time and how he won't get a job because he can never feel comfortable about the idea of having a boss. He told me about how he has an apartment somewhere, so technically he wasn't homeless…. but then again considering the blatant lies he told me already, I wasn't sure what to believe anymore. Either way, he's still in Glendale and if you walk along Brand street, you can find him sitting near the Brand Bookshop. He wears some beige work boots, jeans, a white t-shirt or some other unbuttoned collared shirt, and he's black. Hard to miss. 

With that story, I wanted to say that this guy was pretty nice. I feel like he offered me entertainment for food.

Poor people don't bite, unless they have food in their hands.

Poor people don't always have opportunities tossed in their faces.

The next time you see a politician asking for some more public funding to help the actually needy and poor people of America, please don't try to convince yourself that trickle down economics works.

Please don't try and convince yourself that the rich need to be taxed less in order to save the middle class.

Please don't convince yourself that the Laffer curve works with government taxation with our current growth rate. 

JUST GIVE THE GUY SOME CHANGE DAMMIT is all I'm trying to say.

Well said.

No comments:

Post a Comment